Friday, August 11, 2017

Scripture Memory Thought Trails

Erica Here:

Today is my women's Bible study day. We're going through the book of James using the LifeChange Bible study series from NavPress, and I'm really enjoying it.


In addition to studying the Word, we've challenged each other to commit some of the book of James to memory. This week's verses are James 1:1-11. (Well, actually, it's supposed to be 1-10, but my OCD self sees that the paragraph ends at verse 11, so I'm going through 11 because...I can't not...)

As I was working on the new verses for this week (9-11) some thoughts arose.

The verses say: But the brother of humble circumstances is to glory in his high position; 10 and the rich man is to glory in his humiliation, because like flowering grass he will pass away. 11 For the sun rises with a scorching wind and withers the grass; and its flower falls off and the beauty of its appearance is destroyed; so too the rich man in the midst of his pursuits will fade away.

Which got me to thinking...In my research for my novels, I often encounter stories of the most prominent, wealthiest people. The Vanderbilts, Astors, Morgans, Hills, Goulds, etc. And we seem to be obsessed these days with very wealthy people. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Jeff Bezos, Mark Zuckerberg, etc. 

Wealthy in this world's goods, without a doubt. But when I read about the Vanderbilts, Astors, Morgans, et. al. do you know what they all have in common?

They're dead. And with each passing year, fewer and fewer people remember who they are. In some cases, I would wager that when you read the list of historically wealthy families above, you might have wondered who the Hills and Goulds were...or maybe even the Astors and Morgans. 

And someday, no one outside of a few historians will know or care about who Gates, Buffett, Bezos, etc. were. 

Because the things of earth are all temporary, corruptible, and eventually consumed. 

James 1:9 says the brother in humble circumstances it to glory in his high position. What position is that? 

The position of Child of God and Brother in Christ. Something eternal and beyond corruption.

James 1:10 says the rich man is to glory in his humiliation. Note this doesn't say he is to glory in being humiliated. It says to glory in his humiliation...in his being made to realize that his wealth has no bearing on his eternity. If he is a Child of God, his salvation is something that happens apart from his wealth or social standing.

I don't know the spiritual condition of those historically wealthy families, the Vanderbilts, Astors, Morgans, and so on. 

I don't know the spiritual condition of the current crop of billionaires, either. 

But I do know, rich or poor, it is the same for every person. There is one way to become a Child of God, and it has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with Jesus. 

SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER
Find me on AMAZON.COM
Find me on FACEBOOK

1 comment:

  1. So very true Erica. And as the saying goes, you won't see a uhaul behind a hearse.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friend! Please leave a comment, no lurking allowed ;)